Did you know that plastic surgery procedures are one of the most common types of surgical procedures that men and women in the U.S. undergo? In fact, according to the 2012 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), nearly 2 million plastic surgery procedures took place in the U.S. during the year 2012. While this report shows a number of different trends in plastic surgery, one key finding was the consistency of certain plastic surgery procedures remaining popular with specific age groups.
- Ages 13-19: For younger patients, those ages 13-19, nose reshaping was the most popular procedure in 2012, accounting for 33,673 of the total 76,220 procedures performed. Experts note that nose reshaping is likely popular amongst younger patients because the nose is the area of the body that changes the least as you age. Many adolescents choose nose reshaping and then enter a new phase of their life: college.
- Ages 20-29: For ages 20-29, breast augmentation was the most popular procedure, making up 82,500 of the total 243,954 procedures performed. Breast augmentation becomes more popular as women reach their 20s because puberty has ended, which means that the breasts are generally finished developing. Image is extremely important as women enter adulthood, making breast augmentation a widespread choice.
- Ages 30-39: For individuals ages 30-39, breast augmentation remained the most popular procedure in 2012 at 105,119 of the total 349,962 procedures performed. However, liposuction also has become much more popular for this age group in the second slot at 67,464 procedures. This is because when men and women enter their 30s, their metabolism slows. Their bodies may start to deposit fat differently, and losing weight is much more difficult, making liposuction popular.
- Ages 40-54: For those ages 40-54, eyelid surgery surpasses breast augmentation as the most popular procedure, accounting for 86,908 of a total 517,964 procedures. This is because the 40s are when many men and women begin to really experience the signs of aging, such as wrinkles and drooping around the eyelids. Many undergo eyelid surgery to correct these issues.
- Ages 55+: Finally, for those aged 55 and over, eyelid surgery remains the most popular procedure (98,506 out of a total 363,511 procedures). However, facelifts are also very popular with this age group, coming in second at 82,387. Again, the popularity of these procedures is intimately connected to the increasing signs of aging, such as jowls, loose skin on the neck, deflated cheeks, and loss of jaw line contour. With a facelift and eyelid surgery, adults aged 55 and over can look remarkably younger.