After your Clearwater breast augmentation surgery is complete and as you are being released to go home, you’ll receive a series of post-operative instructions from the surgical care team. It’s important that you follow these instructions to a “T” in order to properly heal from your surgery and have the best possible results. To help give you a preview of what your recovery process will look like, we’ve prepared this list of Do’s and Don’ts after breast augmentation surgery.
After your surgery, do:
- Take your pain medication exactly as prescribed, even if it means waking up in the middle of the night to take a dose. Staying on top of your pain is the best way to reduce any discomfort you feel after your Clearwater breast augmentation surgery.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking your pain medication, as mixing the two may result in undesirable and even dangerous side effects.
- Get plenty of rest. Clearwater plastic surgeon Dr. Moraitis typically recommends that his patients sleep on their backs with pillows propped underneath their upper back to help blood flow to the surgical site. Some women also find it more comfortable to sleep in a recliner after a breast augmentation surgery, and even rent a recliner specifically for their recovery.
- Plan to take at least a week off work, school and/or your regular household duties so you can relax and recover.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Eat healthy snacks to promote your healing.
- Once cleared, practice breast massage by moving your breast implants up, down, in and out. Breast massages may help reduce your external scarring, as well as reduce an internal scarring complication from breast augmentations called capsular contracture.
- Keep all your post-operative appointments with Moraitis Plastic Surgery.
- Call us immediately if you develop a fever which could be a sign of infection, or have any other undesirable side effects, extreme pain, or questions.
After your surgery, don’t:
- Smoke or use any tobacco products, as doing so constricts blood flow and may prohibit proper healing after your Clearwater breast augmentation.
- Take a shower or bath, take a dip in the pool or go to the beach until you’ve been cleared to do so by Moraitis.
- Sleep on your stomach, which not only may be painful but may also negatively impact your results.
- Do any heavy lifting, including lifting and carrying small children, until Dr. Moraitis has cleared you to do so.
- Perform any strenuous exercise until 4-6 weeks after your surgery, depending on your unique instructions from Dr. Moraitis.
- Skip any appointments with Dr. Moraitis. It is important that he carefully monitors your healing process after your Clearwater breast augmentation.
Ask Dr. Moraitis About Your Breast Augmentation Recovery Process During Your Initial Consultation
Many Florida women seeking a breast augmentation are so excited about their potential end results from the procedure that they forget to listen carefully to their recovery process. Don’t make this mistake. Oftentimes, breast augmentation patients find it helpful to have an extra pair of helping hands around the home as they are recovering from their surgery, so you may want to arrange for your partners, a friend or family member to take time off work to help you out, especially if you have small children at home.
To schedule your initial consultation at our office today, including asking questions about your recovery process, call us at (727) 773-9796.